Barkham St James Church

page last reviewed and revised 30 August 2012

Barkham St James Church is situated at the end of Church Lane in Barkham at OS grid SU784663.

BarkhamStJames20a

The early church in Barkham was a largely timber building, probably 14th century, and was demolished in 1859; the present building was erected on the same site and was consecrated in 1861.

The church is a grade II listed building and more information is available from this website covering the building itself (IoE number 41518).

(This link will open in a new window: please note the previous window is still available for you to return to the Berkshire FHS website.)

Berkshire Family History Society has transcribed a number of the parish records of Barkham. The Parish Registers of Barkham St James (1538 - 1998) are available on a CD and over 1,200 marriages that took place in Barkham (from 1542 -1998) are contained in the Berkshire Marriages CD. Burials from Barkham are also included in the society's Berkshire Burials CD publication. (check the bookshop for latest details).

For more information see the booklet:

Barkham 952 - 1990 by Richard Noble, which is available in Wokingham library.

In addition see http://www.abch.org.uk/

Additional information