Crowthorne St John the Baptist

The foundation stone for the present church was laid on 27 September 1872 and it was consecrated by the Bishop of Oxford, Dr J Mackarness, on 5 May 1873.

The church was built only as far as the Chancel (the arch where the green carpet starts) until further funds could be raised. The Chancel, the Lady Chapel, Organ Chamber and Vicar's Vestry were all completed in 1889. The Victorian East Window was put in place in 1894 - the original Chancel Screen was added in 1899 and the Choir Vestry was built on nine years later in 1908.

Outside the Church, the Lych Gate was added in 1913 and was later converted into a War Memorial to the men of Crowthorne who lost their lives in the 1914 -18 War, and the Churchyard Cross was erected in 1914. The West End of the Church was altered in 1968 and the Hall extension added and during the early 1980's the Chancel was re-ordered into its present shape and an extension added to the Hall.

crowthorne_stjohn

The churchyard monumental inscriptions are being recorded by members of Berks FHS to provide a plot-level plan and photos of all monuments, with a view to publishing on CD-ROM. If you want any further information about this activity please contact us via the Projects Coordinator (please put [MI] in the subject, which will help us to forward to the appropriate person).

 

Many of the burials are included in the Berkshire Burial Index published by the Berks FHS (check the bookshop for latest details).

Additional information