Sunningdale Holy Trinity

With the population of the Sunningdale area approaching 700 in the mid-1830s, a committee was formed to raise money to build a new Church, and an old gravel pit was purchased for this purpose. The small plain Holy Trinity church was consecrated in 1840 (Sunningdale became a parish in its own right a year later), with a chancel and small chapel added in 1860 by Rev W C Raffles Flint.

HT_Church2010_copy

In 1887 further major work was carried out, with a large nave and spire. The church is Grade II listed, as are the original gates and railings at the southern entrance.  Among the graves in the churchyard is that of Queen Victoria's nephew His Serene Highness Prince Victor Ferdinand Franz Eugen Gustof Adolph Constantin Frederick of Hohenlohe-Langeburg, later Count Gleichen 1833-91. He was a retired admiral, constable of Windsor Castle, and a noted sculptor (Alfred the Great in Wantage Market Place is among his works). A list of many of the gravestones can be found at http://www.gravestonephotos.com

A War memorial on the eastern corner of the churchyard at the junction of Church Road and the High Street was unveiled by Lord Derby in 1922. For further information on Holy Trinity see www.holytrinitysunningdale.co.uk

 

Additional information