Winkfield St Mary

History

A Saxon building is believed to have occupied the site of St Mary's Church previously.  A vicar is first recorded in 1298 - Galpidus de Pickeforde.

 

The Church Outside

The church has been much altered over time. The central section of the church dates from the late 13th century, the walls built from rubble bonded with lime mortar and faced with ragstone.

The large red brick bell tower replaced a former structure in the early 17th century (a brick carries the date - 1629 - and initials). A spiral staircase leads to the clock and the bell chamber, containing six bells dated between 1597 and 1874.

The chancel was rebuilt in 1858 by the Victorians.

Winkfield_St_Mary

Winkfield: St Mary's Church

© Copyright Andrew Smith and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

For latest information see the Geograph website

 

Inside the Church

The main aisle is divided by a series of octagonal oak columns running down its centre and supporting the roof. One column is carved with a crown and Tudor rose, a date - 1592, and the royal initials 'E.R.' Other columns were renewed with Windsor Forest oaks in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The interior of the church is plain, a likely consequence of Parliamentarian sympathies of local residents during the Civil War, when statuary, wall decorations and stained glass would have been destroyed. The Royal Arms of George III are displayed above the main door. The font is of an ornate ‘High Victorian’ style.

In the nave, south of the chancel arch, is a brass to Thomas Mountague, who died in 1630 in his 92nd year, depicting him in uniform as a yeoman of the guard, a pike in his right hand and handing a loaf to two poor men. On the north wall a tablet commemorates the death in 1685 of Thomas Wise, 'Master Mason of England to King Charles the Second'.

The chancel is Victorian Gothic and glass and other features date from the period.

 

Churchyard

A large yew tree dominates the churchyard which is home to abundant plant and animal life.

 

Parish Registers

Surviving parish records are held by Berkshire Record Office:

  • Baptisms: 1564 to 1988
  • Marriages: 1564 to 1987
  • Burials: 1564 to 1961
  • Banns: 1754 to 1789 and 1823 to 1979

The society's Berkshire Burial Index covers the periods 1720 to 1778 and 1797 to 1961. The 18 years from 1779 to 1797 will be added to the 9th Edition of the Index.

 

Links and other information sources

Details of Winkfield men who fell in the First World War and Second World War can be found on http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Berkshire/Winkfield.html

Winkfield Chronicles: A New History of Winkfield,  Winkfield History Group Project,  2000

 

Additional information