Civil Registration Records
- From July 1837 Maidenhead was part of Cookham Registration District
- From April 1896 Maidenhead became a Registration District in its own right
- From April 1974 It was brought into Windsor and Maidenhead Registration District
For Maidenhead addresses in 19th century censuses see Cookham Registration District, and the civil parishes of Bray or Cookham (although Maidenhead was larger than either). From 1901 Maidenhead addresses are in Maidenhead Registration District, civil parish Maidenhead.
Churches, Parishes and Records
- Before 1857 Maidenhead had no parish church
- Holy Trinity, Cookham served Maidenhead north of the London to Bath Road (A4)
- St Michael and All Angels, Bray served the southern portion
- Bray and Cookham parish registers contain the early records of Maidenhead people
- Surviving parish records for Bray, Cookham and Maidenhead are held at Berkshire Record Office.
All Saints was the first parish church of Maidenhead. It was built in 1857, the parish created from part of Bray St Michael and covering an area to the south of the Bath Road (A4). The church is Grade 1 listed.
St Luke's was built in 1866, the parish drawn from Cookham and covering that part of Maidenhead north of the Bath Road (A4)
St Andrew and St Mary Magdalene evolved from a chapel of ease that stood in the middle of the London to Bath road . The church was rebuilt in 1826 to the south of what was then the High Street, and in 1870 a separate parish was created annexed from part of St Luke's parish.
St Peter’s, Furze Platt was initially a daughter church to St Luke's. A permanent building was consecrated in 1897 and a separate parish formed in 1928 from parts of the parishes of Cookham, Cookham Dean, Maidenhead St Luke's and Stubbings.
Church of the Good Shepherd, Cox Green is Maidenhead's newest Anglican Church and began life in 1978 in a former Victorian chapel. The Cox Green Community Centre is its home today, situated in the grounds of the local Secondary School.
While not a parish church, St Mark’s Hospital Church opened in 1873, funded by John Hibbert JP of Braywick Lodge, and provided for Cookham Workhouse inmates and Maidenhead's poor. The Eureka partnership has transcribed and published some records.
The United Reformed Church in West Street (the former Congregational Church) dates from 1785 but church members have met since 1662 in Maidenhead. The Eureka partnership has transcribed and published some records.
The considerably altered Methodist Church in the High Street was a former chapel for members of the Countess of Huntingdon’s Connexion before becoming a Methodist Chapel in 1858. Eureka partnership has transcribed and published some records.
Twentieth century Methodist Churches were built in St Mark's Crescent and in Woodlands Park.
A Baptist Church (now the Jubilee Church) was established in 1871 in Marlow Road and a 20th century Baptist Church stands in Westborough Road (Boyne Hill).
Roman Catholic worship returned to Maidenhead in 1867 and in 1884 St Joseph's Church was built in Cookham Road. The parish covered all of Maidenhead and surrounding area. A second parish was formed in 1970 for west Maidenhead, and a church built on what would become, in 1982, St Edmund Campion school in Altwood Road.
Quakers - the Society of Friends - West Street. There has been a Meeting House in Maidenhead since the 18th century.