Stanford Dingley is a village and parish in the valley of the river Pang, equidistant between Reading and Newbury, in the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Local place names
Cock Lane, Jennetts Hill. Rushcombe Farm, Handford Farm, Field Farm, Coxlands Farm and Dodds Cottage were mentioned in the 1851 census.
927 acres (375 hectares)
209 in 2001; 178 in 1851
Poor law union
Present-day local authority
SU 57 71
Adjoining parishes in nineteenth century
Berkshire Record Office has the following registers for St Denys:
- baptisms 1538 – 1957
- marriages 1538 – 1979
- burials 1538 - 1979
Available from BerksFHS Books
Berkshire Marriages CD covers St Denys 1540 - 1834
Berkshire Burials CD covers St Denys 1538 - 1979
Published local history
G Timmins Stanford Dingley: a village history (Lola Print, 2012)
Mary Platt and Maureen Park Stanford Dingley: stories of a country village
Anglican church and parochial organisation
The living of Stanford Dingley is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Berkshire, diocese of Oxford. First reference to a church here was in 1252, although the parish church of St Denys is believed to have been built on the site of a pre-Norman church. The building dates from the twelfth century. The white wooden bell tower was built in the fifteenth century.
St Denys' Church, Stanford Dingley
The Parliamentary enquiry into the education of the poor in 1833 found a school in Stanford Dingley educating 12 boys and 13 girls (and a Sunday school).
Other local history
A large tannery thrived here in the middle of the nineteenth century. The 1851 census enumerated a master tanner employing 19 labourers.