Upton

Location

Upton is a small village on the Streatley to Wantage road, formerly a chapelry of Blewbury,  promoted to parish status in 1862. The civil parish was in Berkshire until 1974, when boundary changes moved it into Oxfordshire.

The Icknield Way passes through the north of the parish and the Ridgeway passes a few hundred yards to the south. Two other ancient tracks are the Lynch Way and Alden Farm Road.

The Didcot-to-Southampton Railway, constructed in 1881, passed through Upton in a cutting two miles long and 40 feet deep. The village shared a station with Blewbury, but it was situated in Upton. The railway closed in 1962. 

Local place names include Nottingham Fee, Butlers Farm, Alderns, Humphreys Farm and Humphreys Lower Farm, Frogey Alley, Whitehorns Farm. Old Tommies and Pitts Close.

There ia another Upton in Oxfordshire — a hamlet about a mile west of Burford — and there is also an Upton which is a suburb of Slough.

Size

1,413 acres (581 hectares) in 1851

Population

 337 in 1851; 421 in 2011

Hundred

Moreton

Poor Law union

Wantage

Registration district

Wantage

Present-day local authority

Vale of the White Horse, Oxfordshire County Council

Grid reference

SU 51 86

Adjoining parishes in 1851

Blewbury, Chilton and East Hagbourne

Genealogical resources

Available from BerksFHS Books:
  •  Berkshire Marriages 3rd ed CD covers St Mary 1663 -1735
  • Berkshire Burials 12th ed CD covers St Mary 1588 - 1679, 1720-21, 1862 - 1990

See also Berkshire Record Office holdings.

Links

village website with a photo gallery and a history section that includes the 1841 census for Upton transcribed, extensive extracts from the diary of a nineteenth-century rector of Upton, and some interesting details from the parish register.

Published local history

Juliet Gardiner A random history of Upton in the county of Berkshire (2004)

Anglican church and parochial organisation

The living of Upton is a rectory. Probate falls within the Peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury.

The Norman church of St Mary the Virgin was restored 1885.

Other churches

A Methodist chapel stood on the east side of the village high street. It is due to close in the Spring of 2013.

Schools

In 1863 Upton's first school, funded by the church, was opened by the bishop. It closed in the 1970s.

Pubs

A publican was enumerated in the 1841 census. In 1851 the George and Dragon (still in business) and the Red Lion (in Nottingham Fee) were named.

Additional information