Newbury Poor Law Union Workhouse Births and Deaths

Births 1836–1909 and Deaths 1868–1909.

The Eureka Partnership (2005) 56pp, A5, softback.

This booklet contains transcriptions and indexes of the surviving births and deaths registers relating to Newbury Poor Law Union held at the Berkshire Record Office. The Newbury Poor Law Union Workhouse was built in 1836 on a site south of Newbury on the eastern side of Newtown Road. It eventually became the Sandleford Hospital that closed in 2004. The buildings have now been demolished.

For births, the information given is: date of birth, whether male or female, names of the parents, the parish to which they belong, whether legitimate or illegitimate, when baptised, the child’s given name and any remarks. (Note that some information about births has been obtained from the baptisms registers of St Nicholas, Newbury.)

For deaths the information given is: date of death, name, age, from what parish admitted, where buried. The information given in this booklet will be of value to those who have ancestors Newbury and the surrounding parishes.

Ivan Dickason

Additional information