|Nearby places||Hosted by
"HAGBOURNE, a parish in the hundred of Moreton, county Berks, 6 miles W. of Wallingford, its post town. It is situated on a small stream near the Great Western railway, and contains the hamlets of East and West Hagbourne. In 1644 the Earl of Essex quartered the parliamentary troops in this parish on their way from Reading to Abingdon. The soil is loamy. An Act of Parliament was obtained in 1840 for enclosing the waste lands. The village is pleasantly situated, and in the centre is an antique stone cross surmounted by a sundial. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £165. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure with square tower, containing eight bells. In the interior is a splendid monument of John Phillips, Esq., and a painting of King David with his harp. There are day and Sunday schools. The parochial charities produce £141 per annum, £95 of which is Eaton's endowment for apprenticing the children of the parish. The Earl of Craven is lord of the manor."
"EAST HAGBOURNE, a liberty in the parish of Hagbourne, hundred of Moreton, county Berks, 6 miles S.W. of Wallingford.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.Archives and Libraries
In addition to those listed on the Berkshire home page, see the Research Wiki from Family Search (the Church of Latter-day Saints (Genealogical Society of Utah))Church History
[Last updated 13 Feb 2011 - by Robert Monk]
This web page was generated by software written by Colin Hinson using data extracted from a data-base by the same software