Genuki Home Page   Contents Contents     Berkshire Berkshire     Berkshire Gazetteer Berkshire
Gazetteer
Berks FHS logo Hosted by
Berkshire
FHS

Berkshire Towns and Parishes

See map of Berkshire Parishes.  In addition to the information provided under the links below, other descriptions of the places listed can be found from The Place-Names of Berkshire, Margaret Gelling, English Placename Society, 1982 describes the origins and meanings of places, district, roads and rivers, available from Reading Central Library.  Jimella's British Counties, Parishes, etc. for Genealogists will be of particular value to overseas researchers who are unfamiliar with our geographic divisions and naming conventions.  See also the Genuki Gazetteer and (for members of  Berkshire FHS only) the Berkshire Gazetteer.  Trade directories provide descriptions of places, their administration and facilities as they changed through time, see sample pages from a 1915 directory.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


A
Abbas Waltham   Alternative name for the ancient parish of White Waltham
Abbots Wittenham   Alternative name for the ancient parish of Little Wittenham
Abingdon   Municipal and parliamentary borough and market town containing the ancient parishes of St. Helen and St. Nicholas
Admiston   Alternative name for the ancient parish of Aldermaston
Aldate, St.   Parish in the city of Oxford containing places in the county of Berkshire
Aldermaston   Parish and village in the hundred of Theale
Aldermaston Wharf   Settlement on the Kennet & Avon canal, falling within three parishes: Aldermaston, Beenham and Padworth
Alderworth   Alternative name for the parish of Aldworth
Aldworth   Parish and village in the hundred of Compton
Allder   Alternative name for the parish of Aldworth
All Hallows   Part of Wallingford town and parish; abolished as a parish in 1648
Altmore   Place in the parish of White Waltham
Amen Corner   Hamlet in the parish of Binfield
Anviles Detached part of Kintbury
Appleford   Chapelry and township in the parish of Sutton Courtney. Listed as an ancient parish in Phillimore's Atlas and Index of Parish Registers.
Applehouse Hill   Named area, in the parish of Hurley, possibly extending into the parish of Bisham
Appleton   Parish and village in the hundred of Ock
Arborfield   Parish and village in the hundred of Sonning
Arborfield Cross   Hamlet in the parish of Arborfield
Arborfield Garrison British Army garrison established in 1911 as Remount Depot and falling within the parishes of Arborfield & Newlands and Barkham
Ardington   Parish and village in the hundred of Wantage
Ardington Wick   Hamlet in the parish of Ardington
Ascot   Parish, joined to Winkfield, in the hundred of Ripplesmere (1868). Ascot South was formed from the parishes of Ascot Heath and Sunninghill in 1897, while Ascot, later called Ascot Heath, was formed from the parishes of Cranbourne, Sunninghill and Bracknell in 1865. Ascot Heath includes the racecourse
Ashampstead   Parish and village in the hundred of Moreton
Ashampstead Green   Hamlet in the parish of Ashampstead
Ashbury   Parish and village in the hundred of Shrivenham
Ashmore Green   Place in the parish of Thatcham
Aston Hamlet in the parish of Remenham
Aston Tirrold   Parish in the hundred of Moreton
Aston Upthorpe   Hamlet and chapelry of the parish of Blewbury
Avington   Parish and village in the hundred of Kintbury Eagle
Awbury Street   Tything in the parish of Thatcham
     

Top of page


[Last updated 12 May 2013 by Robert Monk]
Report problems, find help, or contribute information

Valid HTML 4.0!