Genuki Home Page     Berkshire Berkshire   Berkshire Towns and Parishes Berkshire
Towns & Parishes
Berks FHS logo Hosted by
Berkshire
FHS

Extra-Parochial places for Berkshire

An extra-parochial place was an area considered to be outside any parish. They were therefore exempt from payment of any poor or church rate and usually tithe. Extra-parochial areas were gradually either integrated with a neighbouring or surrounding parish, or made separate civil parishes by the Extra-Parochial Places Act 1857 and the Poor Law Amendment Act 1868.

"BAGLEY WOOD, an extra-parochial liberty in the hundred of Hormer, in the county of Berks, 3 miles S. from Oxford. This wood was formerly of great extent, and includes the site of the original abbey of Abingdon."

"CHANDLINGS, an extra-parochial place in the hundred of Hormer, in the county of Berks, near Abingdon.

"SANDLEFORD PRIORY, an extra parochial place in the hundred of Faircross, county Berks, 2 miles S. of Newbury. It is situated on the river Emborne, and was once the site of a priory founded by Geoffrey Earl of Perche, in 1200."

"SEACOURT, an extra parochial place in the hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 3 miles N.W. of Oxford."

"WALLINGFORD CASTLE PRECINCTS, an extra parochial place in the borough of Wallingford, county Berks."

From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003


[Last updated 13 Mar 2011 - by Robert Monk]
These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Report problems, find help, or contribute information

This web page was generated by software written by Colin Hinson using data extracted from a data-base by the same software

Valid HTML 4.0!