|Nearby places||Hosted by
"NORTH HINKSEY, (or Ferry Hinksey), a parish in the hundred of Hormer, county Berks, 2 miles W. of Oxford, and 5 N. of Abingdon. This place was anciently called Hengestseigge, and was given in 955 to Abingdon Abbey. It includes part of the tything of Botley, and until recently (1726) formed a chapelry in the parish of Cumnor. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated on the western bank of the Isis. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1776. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, value £92. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, has two Norman doorways.
"NORTH HINKSEY VILLAGE, a village in the parish of North Hinksey, hundred of Hormer, county Berks."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.Archives and Libraries
In addition to those listed on the Berkshire home page, see the Research Wiki from Family Search (the Church of Latter-day Saints (Genealogical Society of Utah))Church History
[Last updated 1 Mar 2011 - by Robert Monk]
This web page was generated by software written by Colin Hinson using data extracted from a data-base by the same software