Maidenhead St Andrew and St Mary Magdalene

  • In 1270 a chapel dedicated to St Andrew was built on the boundary of the parishes of Bray and Cookham.
  • It was a 'chapel of ease' serving those unable to attend services in the parish churches (no baptisms, marriages or and burials were conducted there). Its income was shared between the two parishes, two thirds of offerings going to Cookham.
  • The chapel was rebuilt in 1724 standing by now in the middle of the main Bath Road. This building survived a century before a third church was built in 1826, dedicated to St Andrew and St Mary Magdalene, to the south of the main road.
  • Initially standing within St Luke's parish, from 1870 it became a parish in its own right.
  • This (third) church closed in 1961 being declared unsafe and a fourth church, the present Church of St Andrew & St Mary Magdalene, was consecrated in 1965 on the same site.

The earliest registers record baptisms from 1862, marriages from 1875 and are held at Berkshire Record Office.

More information can be found on the church website

Additional information