Sulhamstead Bannister

The ancient church of St Michael at Sulhamstead Bannister Upper End (SU638684) was almost entirely rebuilt in 1819. In 1914 the church was again rebuilt only to be demolished in 1966 when the parish was united with Sulhamstead Abbots. All that remains today is the porch standing among the graves and hidden from view of the road by a large tree.

The War Memorial for Sulhamstead is located in the churchyard.

Sulhamstead_Bannister_church_remains

Parish Registers

The parish registers for Baptisms (1646-1937) Banns and Marriages (1654-1955) and Burials (1654-1994) are depostied in the Berkshire Record Office. With a few gaps between 1811 and 1813 the burials are included in the Berkshire Burial Index. The churchyard continues to be used for burials to the present day.

Monumental Inscriptions

The inscriptions from the gravestones are being transcribed by volunteers from the Berkshire Family History Society.

Additional information