Wallingford St Mary le More

St Mary le More in Wallingford market place, rebuilt in the 19th century has recently undergone major reconstruction work inside. but the tower constructed from the castle stone in the 17th century is still there. It can be found at OS grid ref SU607893

churches_091

St Mary le More, Wallingford

Cromwell eventually ordered the demolition of the castle, some of the stone was used to construct a new tower for St Mary’s church in the market place.

Parish Registers

The parish registers have been deposited at the Berkshire Record Office, transcripts published by the Oxfordshire Family History Society and available from the society bookshop. Burials between 1671-1976 (with some gaps) are included in the Berkshire Burial Index available on CD. The International Genealogical Index does not include records for St Mary (nor St Leonard or St Peter).

Memorial Inscriptions

Monumental inscriptions for Wallingford have been published by the Oxfordshire Family History Society and are available from the society bookshop.

More information

View the Church web site

Additional information