Wokingham All Saints

The Parish Church of All Saints, Wokingham is Grade II* Listed building and is situated at the junction of Wiltshire Road and London Road, close to the centre of Wokingham at OS grid ref SU814688.

A Church of All Saints was dedicated in approximately 1190 by Hubert, Bishop of Salisbury, although there may have been a building earlier that this date. The present building is late 14th century, with a tower and clerestory added in the 15th century, and the chancel and aisles largely restored in the style of the 14th century, in 1864. The roof was restored in 1985-6 and the external stonework to the tower was restored in 1880 and again in 2005-6, when it was rendered.

 

All Saints church from London Road following restoration in 2005/6

The churchyard contains several thousand burials, many of which are included in the Berks FHS publication the Berkshire Burial Index (check the bookshop for latest details).

The monumental inscriptions were originally recorded by Canon Long in the early 1900s and were updated in 1986 by members of Berks FHS. Since then access was granted to the Norreys Avenue extension (about 1 acre) which contains 1,180 burial plots, of which 825 had a visible monument in 2005-6, and the full set was updated and released with some images on CD-ROM by Berks FHS in 2006 (Monumental Inscriptions Wokingham All Saints 1520-2006 BRK0231.)

An additional church and community facility, the Cornerstone, was built in 2003, adjacent to the older part of the churchyard and at the west end of the Norreys Avenue extension, on the site of the previous church annexe.

For more details, please see:

All Saints Wokingham – The Life of a Parish Church compiled by John Clemetson, available in Wokingham Library and from the church.

Records of the Parish Church and Parish of Wokingham Berks, compiled by Canon B. Long, Rector of the parish from 1904 to 1933, available in Wokingham Library

The History of All Saints Church, Wokingham by J Neave, also available in Wokingham Library

www.imagesofengland.org.uk (IoE number: 41788).

 

Additional information