Wokingham Baptist Church

Wokingham Baptist Church is situated on the right of Milton Road when heading away from Wokingham town centre, at OS grid SU810687.

Baptist

The first Baptist Meeting House was built on this site in 1773, and was enlarged in 1810 (13) and again in 1827 (15) and the present chapel replaced it in 1861, with an organ being installed in 1871. Burials in the churchyard took place over this period.

The church is a grade II listed building and more information is available from www.imagesofengland.org.uk covering the building itself (IoE number 41698) and wall and gate pillars (IoE number 41699).

Together with other Wokingham Free Churches, the Free Church burial ground on the Reading Road was purchased in 1919 and began to be used for internments from 1921. Many of the internments at both the churchyard at Milton Road and the burial ground at Reading Road are included in the Berkshire FHS publication the Berkshire Burial Index (check the bookshop for latest details).

The monumental inscriptions from Milton Road and those from the burial ground at Reading Road were recorded by members of Berkshire FHS in the 1980s and are available on fiche, and those from the burial ground at Reading Road have been updated and released on CD-ROM, with images of every monument, in 2009. (Monumental Inscriptions Wokingham Free Church 1921-2009 BRK 0248) For more information see the booklet:

The Baptists in Wokingham – 200 years of Christian Witness 1774-1974 by Leonard Goddard Smalley, which is available in Wokingham library.

Additional information