Wokingham Methodist Church

Wokingham Methodist Church is situated on the right of Rose Street when heading away from Wokingham town hall, at OS grid SU813686.

Methodist

The first Methodist building on this site was a barn converted into a chapel in 1820, which was used until 1870, and later in the same year the present building was opened, with an organ being added in 1908, a harmonium being in use previously.

Together with other Wokingham Free Churches, the Free Church burial ground on the Reading Road was purchased in 1919 and began to be used for internments from 1921; many of the internments are included in the Berks FHS publication the Berkshire Burial Index (check the bookshop for latest details).

An additional facility, the Rank Hall was added in 1964, and a greater upgrade, with demolition of nearby old cottages, was completed and re-opened in 1974. The pipe organ was replaced by an electronic organ and additional seating added in 1983, and further major redevelopment of the rear of the site took place providing many extra facilities and the Bradbury Community Centre, which was opened on 19 November 2006.

For more information see the booklets:

Methodism in Wokingham 1817-1967 by Rev. E. Ralph Bates,

and

Wokingham Methodist Church 1967 to 2000 by (probably) Bill Watson

Both of these are available in Wokingham library.

Additional information