Wokingham St Paul

St. Paul's Parish Church, with its 170 foot spire, is situated on the left of the Reading Road when heading away from Wokingham town centre, at OS grid SU804690.

St. Paul's Parish was created in 1863 and the newly built church was consecrated by Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Oxford, on the 23rd of July 1864.

There are eight bells in the tower, originally installed in 1864, which were silenced during the Second World War, and again in 1987, when they were taken to Whitechapel Bell Foundry for maintenance and were re-hung in the following year after the repair of damage caused to the spire after the hurricane of 1987.

The bell tower was badly damaged by fire after a lightning strike on the 28th of January 2004. All the bells were beyond repair and had to be re-cast at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry,  and were returned to St. Paul's on the 28th November 2005.

The extensive churchyard contains many burials, many of which are included in the Berks FHS publication the Berkshire Burial Index (check the bookshop for latest details).

The monumental inscriptions are currently (2011) recorded and the propsed CR-ROM publication is in checking, see here for more details.

For more information see the booklet:

St Paul’s Parish Church Wokingham by Jim Bell, which is available in Wokingham library.

Additional information