Wokingham St Sebastian

The area around St Sebastian’s was originally part of Windsor Forest and was populated by scattered people living by forest crafts, particularly making and selling brooms, and who were known as ‘broomdashers’. St Sebastian’s church for these people was funded by the Diocese of Oxford, the Walter family of Bearwood, and the Master of nearby Wellington College. It was built and consecrated in 1864, and was initially within the parish of All Saints, Wokingham, but was separated in 1871 when St Sebastian’s parish was created.

The monumental inscriptions and burial records for the churchyard are still to be transcribed,

Additional information