Cold Ash

Location

Cold Ash lies about four miles north-east of Newbury. Cold Ash was originally part of Thatcham parish but separated as an ecclesiastical parish in its own right in 1866. In 1894 Cold Ash made a second break from Thatcham, this time to form its own civil parish, incorporating Ashmore Green and parts of Henwick, Long Lane and Shaw Fields. Later boundary adjustments removed Shaw Fields and added Bucklebury Alley.

Size

1,928 acres  (780 hectares)

Population

1851 Cold Ash was enumerated as part of Thatcham; 4,063 in 2011

(in 2001: 3,623, with a M/F ratio of 1,266:2,057 – said to be the highest in the country)

Hundred

Reading

Poor law union

Newbury

Registration district

Newbury

Present-day local authority

West Berkshire

Grid reference

SU 51 69

Adjoining parishes

Shaw cum Donnington, Chieveley, Hampstead Norreys, Bucklebury, Thatcham

Genealogical resources

Available from BerksFHS Books:

Berkshire Burial Index 12th ed CD covers St Mark 1865 – 1947.

See also Berkshire Record Office holdings.

Thatcham Historical Society members have transcribed the Cold Ash MIs, the monuments inside the church, and the gravestone inscriptions in Thatcham Cemetery, which includes Cold Ash parishioners. Both of these are on CD. Berks FHS Library has a photocopy of the register of burials in Cold Ash churchyard 1865 - 1944 (giving addresses of the deceased); a grave plan is displayed in the church.

Links

village website

Reg Piper A Cold Ash diary 5 vols covering 1865 - 1945, but no index. Unpublished, but reference copies are in West Berkshire Museum, West Berkshire Library and on the village website.

Roy Tubb Cold Ash and Ashmore Green road by road (1994 and 2004)

Berkshire Family Historian:

Sept 2007, p22 : article on Cold Ash by Tony Higgott

June 2008, p11 : article on Hill House/St Mary’s Home by Penny Stokes

Additional information