Compton

Location

Compton is a village, civil and ecclesiastical parish in the river Pang valley in north Berkshire, about 6.5 miles souith of Didcot.

The Didcot-to-Southampton railway, built in 1881, passed through Compton, which had a station and a freight yard. Passenger services stopped and the station closed in 1962, followed by closure of the freight yard and services in 1966. The nearest railway station now is at Goring.

Local place names: Ashden, Cow Down, Roden Down, Bishop's Fields.

Compton in Berkshire is not connected with Compton Beauchamp, formerly in Berkshire but now in Oxfordshire, other than that they are not far apart.

There is also a Compton in Surrey.

Size

3,863 acres (1,564 hectares) in 1924

Population

569 in 1851; 1,571 in 2011

Hundred

Compton

Poor law union

Wantage

Registration district

Wantage

Present-day local authority

West Berkshire

Grid reference

SU 52 79

Adjoining parishes in 1851

Aldworth, Blewbury, East Ilsley and Hampstead Norreys

Genealogical resources

Available from BerksFHS Books:
  • Compton SS Mary & Nicholas parish registers CD
  • Berkshire Baptisms 2nd ed CD SS Mary & Nicholas 1553 - 1925
  • Berkshire Marriages 3rd ed CD SS Mary & Nicholas 1553 - 1963
  • Berkshire Burials 12th ed CD SS Mary & Nicholas 1553 - 2005 

Published local history

  • Linnet McMahon and David Mankin Compton the story of a downland village (2000)
  • William Hewett History and antiquities of Compton (1844)

Links

parish council website

Anglican church and parochial organisation

Compton falls within the archdeaconry of Berkshire, in the diocese of Oxford since 1836 (and before that, in Salisbury). The parish church of St Mary and St Nicholas has been dated from its font as thirteenth century, remodelled in 1850 and 1905. It has a square tower. 

Other churches

A Primitive Methodist minister was recorded in the 1851 census, and the VCH of 1924 noted Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels in the village.

Schools

William Allen in 1774 willed an annuity of £5 for the maintenance of children at school. By 1819 a village school existed, supported by subscriptions and by the vicar. A schoolmistress was enumerated in 1851. The BRO has records of the National school from 1854.

Today there are two schools: 

Both are state schools run by the local education authority.

Pubs

The Compton Swan

Other local history

In 1644 Compton Heath was the scene of the encampment of the whole Parliamentary army.

Roden House (alias Stokes Manor) dates back to 1664. During the reign of George III it was the scene of the close of a notable run of the Royal Staghounds, when the deer, after a chase of 30 miles from Windsor, took refuge in the hall. The king gave the deer its liberty, and called him Compton.

The 1851 census records an iron and brass-founding business employing 23 men.

The Institute for Animal Health at Compton is one of three laboratories run by the national centre for research into the health of farm animals.

Additional information