Maidenhead

Burial grounds and cemeteries

  • Before 1857, interments would have been in one or other of the parishes of Cookham or Bray. Both are included in the society's Berkshire Burials CD 
  • All Saints’ Church has a burial ground. Berkshire Burials contains transcriptions of burial entries from 1857 to 1948.
  • St Luke’s Church also has a burial ground but 20th century records were badly damaged. Berkshire Burials covers 1866 to 1890.
  • The United Reformed Church, High Street Methodist Church and Quaker Meeting House  carried out some burials in the grounds or in vaults. Transcriptions of these records can also be found in the Berkshire Burials CD
  • Maidenhead Cemetery, situated in All Saints Avenue, opened in 1888 and the five acre site has since received almost 15,000 interments.
  • Braywick Cemetery on Braywick Road opened in July 1953, with specific sections for different religious faiths.

For both cemeteries it is advisable to contact the cemetery office for a plot reference before visiting.

Maidenhead Wills and Probate

Pre-1858 Church Courts

  • Archdeaconry Court of Berkshire, or
  • Consistory Courts of Salisbury (to 1836), Oxford (1836 to 1857), or
  • Prerogative Court of Canterbury

The records of the Berkshire Archdeaconry have recently been indexed and this index is available as the Berkshire Probate Index CD

Post-1858

Civil records can be explored using the Find a will website

Poor Law

  • Before 1834 there were workhouses in Northtown Maidenhead (for Cookham parish) and in the Chauntry at Bray.
  • The New Poor Law of 1834 saw the creation of Cookham Poor Law Union covering  the town and surrounding parishes.
  • The workhouse was built in 1835, on the present day site of St Mark's Hospital.
  • In 1896 Cookham Union was renamed Maidenhead Union.
  • Surviving records from the Cookham/Maidenhead Union are in Berkshire Record Office.
The Workhouse website provides more information.
 

Education

Charities provided the earliest education for children in Maidenhead.  A  National (Church of England) School) was set up in 1819 and a  British School for boys opened in 1848, becoming in 1863 the Wesleyan Day School. Creation of Maidenhead's parishes brought St Luke’s and All Saints’ Primary Schools.  The first Roman Catholic School began in 1871. Maidenhead Modern School opened in 1894 and an Art School in 1896, attended by Stanley Spencer. Private schools were also set up in Maidenhead in he 19th century, including Craufurd College, Maidenhead College and Castle Hill Collegiate.

Additional information