Peasemore

Location

Peasemore is a civil and ecclesiastical parish on the southern side of the Berkshire Downs, midway between Newbury and Wantage.

Place names in the 1851 census include Rowdown, Dowses, Eastley End, Sheep Leaze and Wittenhams.

Farm names have included Priors, Widows, Gobley, Gidley and Princes.

Size

2,050 acres (829 hectares)

Population

369 in 1851; 311 in 2011

Hundred

Faircross

Poor law union

Wantage

Registration district

Wantage to March 1974

Newbury from April 1974 to March 1998

West Berkshire from April 1998

Present-day local authority

West Berkshire

Grid reference

SU 45 77

Adjoining parishes in 1851

Beedon, Boxford, Brightwalton, Catmore, Chieveley, Leckhampstead, Winterbourne

Genealogical resources

Available from BerksFHS Books:
  • Berkshire Baptisms 2nd ed CD covers St Barnabas 1538 - 1990
  • Berkshire Marriages 3rd ed CD covers St Barnabas 1800-36
  • Berkshire Burials 12th ed CD covers St Barnabas 1538 - 2007

See also Berkshire Record Office holdings.

The Peasemore Parish Plan includes maps, history and photographs of the parish.

Anglican church and parochial organisation

The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry of Berkshire, which transferred from Salisbury diocese to that of Oxford in 1836.

The church of St Barnabas was rebuilt between 1842 and 1866, but parts of the present tower date from 1737. An earlier church stood on the same site.

Other churches

Peasemore's first Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1809, was replaced in 1831 by a second, and in 1923 by a third. All have been demolished.

Schools

Peasemore had a National school, built in 1850, replacing an earlier school in what is now called Drakes Cottage. The village primary school closed in January 1958. The former school building is now a private house, and the school bell still hangs above it.

Log books and other documents are held by Berkshire Record Office.

Pubs

The Fox at Peasemore (previously known as the Fox and Hounds)

Other local history

The original village was located close to a circular earthwork which may have been an Iron Age settlement. The village boundaries were first delineated in a charter of 951, as part of Chieveley, and the village is specifically named in the Domesday Book.

Fire broke out on 27 July 1736, destroying much of the centre of the village.

Peasemore had two shops and a post office (in Hailey Lane) in the nineteenth century. The post office closed around 1980.

Noteworthy former residents include William Lyford (1598-1653) a prominent nonconformist clergyman, former prime minister David Cameron, who lived in Peasemore as a young child, and the novelist Miss Read, who was briefly headmistress of the school.

Additional information