• an ecclesiastical and civil parish in East Berkshire, bordering Surrey.
  • about six miles  south of Windsor and five miles east of Bracknell.
  • administered now by the unitary authority of Windsor and Maidenhead.

Adjoining parishes - Old Windsor, Sunninghill (Berkshire), Chobham, Egham, Windlesham (Surrey) .

The grid reference for the older part of Sunningdale is SU955675. Other areas  of Sunningdale lie  along  the line of the present A30, including Shrubs Hill and Broomhall.


There were Roman and Saxon settlements at Sunningdale. The road from London to Silchester ,  the Devil's Highway, ran through the area (near the line of the today's A30). The name derives from a  local Saxon chief (Sunna) and is a contraction of 'SunninghillDale', after the nearby Saxon hamlet of Sunninghill.

The core of the village formed in the late 18th century from a scattering of cottages for workers employed on large estates at the southern end of Windsor Forest. This area was known as Old Windsor Common and formed part of the ecclesiastical parish of Old Windsor.

The area was enclosed in 1817, and with the construction of a parish church in 1840, and the arrival of the railway in 1856, Victorian Sunningdale began to take shape.  Later development continued around the junction of the Chobham Road with London Road (A30)  to form Broomhall and Shrubs Hill. In 1894 Sunningdale Parish Council was formed. Much of the old village is now a conservation area.

Sunningdale is home to two golf courses, the Old Course first laid out in 1900 and the New Course  designed in 1922. Associated leasehold development accompanied the establishment of the Old Course.

Civil Registration Records

  • From July 1837 to December 1967 Sunningdale was part of Windsor Registration District.
  • Briefly from January 1968 until March 1974 Sunningdale was included in Easthampstead Registration District (now covered by Bracknell Register Office).
  • From 1974 Sunningdale reverted to the Windsor Registration District.

Additional information