Victorian Sunningdale contained several large estates, including Coworth Park (soon to be a luxury hotel  - 2010), Broomfield Hall (demolished in the 1930s), Silwood Park (now part of Imperial College, London and a technology campus) and Sunningdale Park (the present-day Civil Service College), where in December 1973 the Northern Ireland Sunningdale Agreement was drawn up. Other large Victorian houses have been demolished for redevelopment, or converted into flats.


After Holy Trinity opened in 1840 church authorities funded a school to replace two local "dame schools." In 1842 a new National School opened at the western end of Church Road.  The school has been extended since, and is now a thriving Church of England primary school. Surviving records are in the Berkshire Record Office.

Sunningdale School in Dry Arch Road is a well-known preparatory school, founded in 1874.

In 1958 Charters Secondary School opened to just under 400 pupils - built on land belonging to a house of the same name, once owned by Montague Burton of tailoring fame. Managers' minutes and other records are held by Berkshire Record Office.

Village halls


The Village Hall in Church Road dates from 1909, and in the same road, opposite the Church, is the Coronation Memorial Institute, (CMI) opened in 1912  and belatedly marking the coronation of King George V. The CMI replaced two iron huts that had served since 1893 as a working men's institute and reading room and continued as a working men's club for some time before in 2004 becoming a second village venue.


For Berkshire Record Office holdings of Sunningdale records see

The New Landscapes website provides some information on the effects of enclosure in the area. See

For more on the C of E school see

And for Charters School, go to

For more on the village see

Some photographs of Sunningdale can be found on

A publication that may be of interest

Remembering Wartime: Ascot Sunningdale and Sunninghill 1939-1945, Christine Weightman, 2006



Additional information